INSTRUCTIONS FOR SEMEN COLLECTION
The Section of Advanced Reproductive Medicine (ARM), located at the Anschutz Outpatient Pavilion at the Anschutz Medical Campus, has a collection room for your convenience and privacy. Any patient who needs to collect a semen specimen for analysis may use this room. Appointments for collection times and for drop off of semen MUST be made by phoning 720-848-1690, option 1. At the time of collection, each patient must provide the staff with either: 1) a physician order (such as a prescription) or 2) a laboratory requisition form stamped with your hospital card. You must have one of these BEFORE ANY LAB PROCESSING WILL BEGIN!
Your evaluation depends on a properly performed semen analysis. It is important to use the following procedure for collection. Please follow these instructions closely:
You may be asked to submit more than one semen sample for examination. All individuals will show some changes over time in the items we examine during routine analysis. Obtaining several specimens provides the physician with important additional data.
- Each semen specimen should be collected after 2 to 3 days of sexual abstinence, but not more than 5 days unless otherwise instructed by your physician.
- For your protection, please be prepared to show some for of picture identification.
- Semen specimens should be collected by MASTURBATION ONLY into a clean, wide-mouth container. Our lab prefers that you collect in our collection rooms. This is especially true if your semen is to be frozen or washed for insemination or analyzed for infertility. Do not use a condom for collection and do not use creams or lubricants during the collection.
- It is important that the entire ejaculate is collected. If collection is incomplete, please note that on the questionnaire provided.
- The identification label on the specimen container must be filled out completely. Place the specimen and collection questionnaire in the pass-through door and press the white button on the wall.
- For specimens collected at your home, you will need to pick up a special cup and instructions from our office ahead of time. Please bring the labeled specimen to Advanced Reproductive Medicine at the Anschutz Medical Campus. It is important during transport that the specimen remains warm and is not exposed to temperature extremes. Place it in your shirt, under your arm or in a pocket next to your body. It is vital that the specimen be received within 60 minutes of collection. Place the cup (inside the Zip-lock™ bag) in the brown paper bag provided with your drop-off kit. Deliver the specimen to the desk staff at ARM. You may be asked to wait for a brief time in order to speak with a lab representative.
- If you are scheduling any of the following, be sure to tell the schedulers that when making your appointments:
- Sperm freezing
- Sperm antibody testing
- Post-ejaculatory urine analysis
- For your protection, results will ONLY be released to you or to the physician ordering the tests. You will need to sign a medical release form in order to have your results released to your partner.
Directions to Anschutz Medical Campus – Advanced Reproductive Medicine
The Anschutz Medical Campus is located on Ursula Street, west of I-225 on Colfax. Advanced Reproductive Medicine is on the 3rd floor of the Anschutz Outpatient Pavilion. There is free parking located right in front of the building.